Tehran says nuclear talks with U.S. to be held in Muscat amid mixed reports

The second round of nuclear talks between Iran and the United States will be held again in Oman’s capital, Muscat, IRNA news agency reported on Tuesday, citing Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei, amid conflicting reports indicating that the talks will be held in Europe.
According to IRNA, Iran’s decision follows consultations, with the next round of talks scheduled to take place in the Omani capital on April 19.
Earlier on Monday, however, Italian news agency ANSA reported that Italy had agreed to host the talks’ second round, and Iraq’s state news agency said Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi told his Iraqi counterpart that talks would be held “soon” in the Italian capital under Omani mediation.
Moreover, U.S. news agency Axios, citing two unnamed sources with knowledge of the matter, also reported that the second round of the U.S.-Iranian talks would be held in Rome on Saturday.
An Iranian insider close to the government told the Reuters news agency that the U.S. wanted Rome, yet Iran preferred Geneva.
In the meantime, FM Araqchi will visit ally Russia this week for talks prior to the second round of negotiations.
On Wednesday, IAEA head Rafael Grossi is expected to visit Tehran in an attempt to narrow gaps between Iran and the agency over unresolved issues.
“Continued engagement and cooperation with the agency is essential at a time when diplomatic solutions are urgently needed,” Grossi said on X on Monday.
In this regard, White House special envoy Steve Witkoff said on Monday that a diplomatic agreement with Iran will depend on working out details around verification of the country’s uranium enrichment and weapons programs.



